

Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net>

12/7/2021 9:42 PM

## Re: Fwd: Letter from Jeremy and fire chief Message from the WFPD and the Town on the Fire Code

To MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

Yes; I saw the letter - nothing really.

Don't only hurt us a little. Jennifer killed us; she was the swing vote and when she went negative the game was over.

Not sure I trust Jennifer on anything right now. Don't want to be Linus trying to kick the ball with Lucy pulling it away every time ...

thanks for your efforts

Good luck on your meeting!

Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net>

12/8/2021 2:45 PM

## Fw: Knapp Report

To MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

Is this woman clueless or what?

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Jennifer <jennifer@youstra.com>

Sent: Dec 8, 2021 2:21 PM

To: Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net>, MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>, MJ Lee social <mjsocial@primaryapps.com>, megan koch <megantckoch@me.com>, Marianne Plunder <mplunder@finemech.com>, Jeff Aalfs <jaalfs@portolavalley.net>

Subject: Knapp Report

Hi everyone,

I know last night was a tough meeting for many (myself included), so I hope this email is taken with the best of intentions.

I've been asked by a resident and block captain of Westridge to ask if you have read the attached report. It details findings in the Camp fire. I don't know if this was part of your petition packet as I got my packet directly from Bob (and it did include this).

If you didn't receive it, it is definitely worth a read.

Jennifer

--

**Jennifer Youstra**

[jennifer@youstra.com](mailto:jennifer@youstra.com)

650.380.2274

- Knapp Fire Ecology 2021 (1).pdf (7 MB)

## Re: Fwd: Request January agenda early

To MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

Ok; will call you at 5

-----Original Message-----

From: MICHAEL TOMARS

Sent: Dec 13, 2021 11:59 AM

To:

Subject: Re: Fwd: Request January agenda early

Ok - let's talk at 5?

On 12/13/2021 9:34 AM Dale Pfau wrote:

We have the presentation by the Evacuation consultants. Also, I am trying to get someone to talk about fire maps - a qualified fire professional not from WFPD or seduced by Jeremy.

We can talk later today.

Dale

-----Original Message-----

From: MICHAEL TOMARS

Sent: Dec 13, 2021 9:25 AM

To: [dalepfau@earthlink.net](mailto:dalepfau@earthlink.net)

Subject: Fwd: Request January agenda early

Do we have any items or should we cancel the meeting?

----- Original Message -----

From: Sharon Hanlon

To: "mtomars89@comcast.net", Edward Holland, "[dalepfau@earthlink.net](mailto:dalepfau@earthlink.net)"

Date: 12/13/2021 8:27 AM

Subject: Request January agenda early

Dear Michael, Ed, and Dale,  
Town Hall will be closed the last week of December so, I will need to distribute your January meeting packets next week.

Please send me your January agenda and advise your minute taker to send me the December minutes no later than 8:30 am Wednesday, December 22nd.

Thank you,  
Sharon

[PV Seal - Email Green]

Sharon Hanlon

Town Clerk

Town of Portola Valley

650.851.1700 ext.210

[www.portolavalley.net](http://www.portolavalley.net)

## RE: Follow Up with Woodside Fire re Woodside Letter?

To Dale R Pfau <dale.pfau@axionadvisors.com>

Other people are picking up on the divergent messages from WFPD --- as we suspect, there are very strong political issues driving this difference.

On 12/18/2021 12:29 PM Dale R Pfau <dale.pfau@axionadvisors.com> wrote:

Hi Karen;

Thanks for your note.

I am actually quite concerned about the apparent difference between Don's approach at our meeting (and the TC meeting) and his letter to Woodside (as well as his letter to the Ranch).

However, I am reluctant to put Don and WFPD on the spot. I fear that they would be forced to repeat their message from the TC meeting and thus widening the potential rift between those of us who want stronger fire regulations and the TC and particularly Town Staff. I believe it would be better to work behind the scenes to strengthen our "science and best practices" message. I still believe that Don and WFPD will eventually become an ally, but the current situation appears to be a political issue and not a "science and best practices" issue.

However, I will be watching carefully, and if we have an opening, you can be sure we will pursue it.

BTW; we have cancelled our January meeting of the Wildfire Committee.

Thanks for your continued support and your interest in keeping Portola Valley safe.

Best regards,

Dale

**From:** Karen Askey [mailto:[askeykaren@gmail.com](mailto:askeykaren@gmail.com)]

**Sent:** Saturday, December 18, 2021 7:49 AM

**To:** Dale R Pfau <[dale.pfau@axionadvisors.com](mailto:dale.pfau@axionadvisors.com)>; michael tomars <[mtomars89@comcast.net](mailto:mtomars89@comcast.net)>

**Cc:** Bob Turcott <[btur913@gmail.com](mailto:btur913@gmail.com)>

**Subject:** Follow Up with Woodside Fire re Woodside Letter?

Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net>

1/11/2022 7:13 PM

## Sarah Agenda

To MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

---

Hi Michael;

When you get a chance; please forward me Sarah's agenda. We will completely ignore it, but I would like to see what it is.

thanks,

Dale

## Re: Fwd: Proposed Agenda for 2/1/2022

To MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

also what is this "state of preparedness"? I have a healthy skepticism of anything from MJ

-----Original Message-----

From: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

Sent: Jan 25, 2022 7:03 PM

To: dalepfau@earthlink.net <dalepfau@earthlink.net>

Subject: Fwd: Proposed Agenda for 2/1/2022

Proposed agenda is below --- let me know if you have any comments. I will send this to Sharon in the morning. Thanks! Michael

1. Call to Order
2. Open Communications for Items not on Agenda
3. Approval of Minutes from December 7, 2021, Meeting
4. Review Charter (attached), Consider any Updates / Revisions
5. Discuss Goals / Priorities for 2022
6. Introduction to Wildfire Maps (Ray Moritz)
7. State of Wildfire Preparedness (MJ Lee)
8. Standing Items - As Needed
  - a. Fire Marshal Update
  - b. Staff Updates
  - c. Review of Committee Correspondences/Items of Note
9. Adjourn

Attached charter below -

<https://portolavalley->

[my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/swernikoff\\_portolavalley\\_net/ES\\_LWXB7VJ5Epdg7XQdrCzUBKYJHcotfcanMlqqjp\\_OloQ](https://portolavalley-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/swernikoff_portolavalley_net/ES_LWXB7VJ5Epdg7XQdrCzUBKYJHcotfcanMlqqjp_OloQ)

## Re: Last night's meeting

To dalepfau@earthlink.net

---

call when you can

On 02/02/2022 4:10 PM Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net> wrote:

I just got a call from Sara accusing me of being "political" and having a "political agenda" on the wildfire committee.

I am actually shocked. I have heard nothing but positive comments about the meeting last night. Let me know if you have heard anything otherwise.

thanks

Dale

Bob Turcott <btur913@gmail.com>

2/10/2022 7:03 PM

## Sarah's comments at the 2/9/2022 TC meeting

To Dale R Pfau <dale.pfau@axionadvisors.com> • MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net> Copy  
rusty day <dukeandbarney@gmail.com>

---

If at all possible, please watch the video from last night's town council meeting, [here](#), from 1:18:40 to 1:40:34. It might influence your thinking.

1.5 - 2x speed helps.

I think what Sarah said is beyond the pale. She and Maryann just documented that they're incapable of genuine deliberation on this topic. In my opinion, they're not fit to serve.

I welcome your thoughts.

-Bob



Rusty Day <dukeandbarney@gmail.com>

2/23/2022 8:02 PM

## Wildfire Safety Committee and the Safety element

To TOMARS MICHAEL <mtomars89@comcast.net> Copy Pfau Dale R <dale.pfau@axionadvisors.com>

---

Michael,

I strongly suggest that the Wildfire Safety Committee write and send a letter to the Town's staff (cc Town Council) requesting that it be consulted and included in the development of the Town's safety goals, objectives and policies. Delineating sound safety policies is critical. Tonight, Laura Russell said that the Town's consultants will be telling us what our safety goals, objectives and policies should be. I find that answer very disturbing. I think the residents should define our most important safety goals, delineate our safety policies and establish our mitigation priorities. I urge the Wildfire Safety Committee to carve out a role for itself and for our residents to weigh in on these critical issues before they are laid down for us.

Rusty

## Re: Fwd: FW: Hello from CDI: Mitigation in Rating Plans and Wildfire Risk Models

To MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

I think Jennifer H. is insurance; **BTW IMO Insurance is more important than the other shit she wants to do.** I suggest:

1. She start tracking Insurance cancellations in PV (so residents know who is writing, who is cancelling, who is increasing etc.) No one is doing this
2. Start tracking insurance costs (I know Karen says this is not possible, but David Cardinal did some work and using averages works pretty well)
3. Establish a special email for residents to send insurance info and questions directly to her. She can then report to full committee.

Just my thoughts

-----Original Message-----

From: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

Sent: Mar 7, 2022 9:44 AM

To: dalepfau@earthlink.net <dalepfau@earthlink.net>

Subject: Fwd: FW: Hello from CDI: Mitigation in Rating Plans and Wildfire Risk Models

----- Original Message -----

From: Jeremy Dennis <jdennis@portolavalley.net>

To: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

Cc: Sarah Wernikoff <swernikoff@portolavalley.net>

Date: 03/07/2022 9:07 AM

Subject: FW: Hello from CDI: Mitigation in Rating Plans and Wildfire Risk Models

Michael – this should be on the April agenda, and we should look to have someone come from the Committee, in addition to the Town.

Jeremy

**From:** Bykowsky, Mary Beth <MaryBeth.Bykowsky@insurance.ca.gov>

**Sent:** Thursday, March 3, 2022 10:11 AM

**Cc:** Bykowsky, Mary Beth <MaryBeth.Bykowsky@insurance.ca.gov>

**Subject:** Hello from CDI: Mitigation in Rating Plans and Wildfire Risk Models

Good Morning,

I wanted to notify you that Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara announced a formal rulemaking action concerning wildfires and insurance. Specifically, Commissioner Lara is proposing to adopt new regulations

## Re: Our Safety Element and Your Committees

To Shostak Nan <nshostak@aol.com> Copy TOMARS MICHAEL <mtomars89@comcast.net> • Pfau Dale R <dale.pfau@axionadvisors.com> • Turcott Bob <btur913@gmail.com> • karen@allaboutimages.com <karen@allaboutimages.com> • Younge Rob <rob@younge.com>

Nan,

Thank you for responding so promptly.

Do I understand correctly that the Geologic Safety Committee has not been involved or consulted to date, that there are currently no public meetings of the Committee scheduled to address the Safety element, and the the Town is telling the committee what its role and involvement "will be," not the reverse?

I wish to emphasize that following the same staff-led, secretive process as the Town followed in reviewing the Hazard Mitigation Plan, or developing an Evacuation Capacity Study (before the Wildfire Safety Committee stepped up and insisted on its participation and oversight), will likely produce the same belated, woefully deficient result.

I urge all three committee heads to join in a single written communication to the Town Council insisting on an inclusive, immediate and meaningful involvement and oversight of our Safety element update. It's the residents of Portola Valley -- all of us of who live here and pay for this work to be done -- who must live with and suffer the consequences of the Safety policies, principles and objectives we do and do not establish.

Rusty

On Mar 8, 2022, at 6:35 PM, Nshostak <nshostak@aol.com> wrote:

Rusty,

The Geologic Safety Committee has been advised of 3 to 5 meetings on the Safety Element, to be held over the next few months. Jeff Aalfs' February 3 email stated the GSC will "be asked to review and comment on the range of new mapping data we are currently developing, policies regarding the role of seismic safety within the safety element, and other related issues."

The first meeting has not yet been scheduled. We have not worked with a consultant, nor do we know the name of the consulting firm.

Nan Shostak

-----Original Message-----

From: Rusty Day <dukeandbarney@gmail.com>

To: TOMARS MICHAEL <mtomars89@comcast.net>; Pfau Dale R <dale.pfau@axionadvisors.com>; Shostak Nan <nshostak@aol.com>

Cc: Turcott Bob <btur913@gmail.com>; Vahtra Karen <karen@allaboutimages.com>; Younge Rob <rob@younge.com>

Sent: Tue, Mar 8, 2022 6:15 pm

Subject: Our Safety Element and Your Committees

Over 6 months ago the Town announced that it had hired consultants to help revise the Safety element to address our wildfire and evacuation hazards. Today, less than 6 months remain before a revised Safety element must be submitted to Cal Fire and WFPD for their review and recommendations.

During the March 1 Wildfire Safety Committee meeting, the Town reported that work on the Safety element is progressing in parallel with work on the Housing element, and that the Wildfire Safety Committee, the

## Re: Letter on Safety Element

To mtomars89@comcast.net <mtomars89@comcast.net> • dalepfau@earthlink.net <dalepfau@earthlink.net>

Michael and Dale,

Chet Wrucke has agreed to sign the letter with you. He made two small changes: to the wording of the last sentence of #1 and the addition of the third sentence of #2. The final question is how to transmit the letter--from one or from all three of you.

Nan

-----Original Message-----

From: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
To: dalepfau@earthlink.net; Nshostak <nshostak@aol.com>  
Sent: Thu, Mar 10, 2022 8:50 pm  
Subject: Re: Fwd: Letter on Safety Element

Bob is a member of the GSC? I will update the draft after dinner and circulate it for final comment. I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

On 03/10/2022 8:30 PM Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net> wrote:

Also, add that the joint meeting should be recorded so that committee members who miss it can review.

And . . . if Bob agrees with the letter, you could add Bob and Nan as signatories.

thanks

-----Original Message-----

From: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
Sent: Mar 10, 2022 6:44 PM  
To: Nshostak <nshostak@aol.com>, dalepfau@earthlink.net <dalepfau@earthlink.net>  
Subject: Re: Fwd: Letter on Safety Element

To confirm my understanding of where we are in the process, we are adding a closing "action" sentence to the letter and awaiting comments from Bob Wrucke. Is that correct? The email will be addressed to the Mayor, Vice Mayor, three committee liaisons, and Jeremy.

On 03/10/2022 6:36 PM Nshostak <nshostak@aol.com> wrote:

I forgot to say that I agree with Michael's idea of a sentence at the end requesting an action item from the Town. Please do add one!

By the way, Jeremy and Jeff Aalfs (GSC liaison) grilled me this afternoon for 1/2 hour. I was able to request that information about the Safety Element be given to the GSC well before the first meeting (this has been of concern to me for a month now). Jeff agreed, but we shall see whether they will follow through. I spoke for myself only, on behalf of the GSC, not for your committees. Of course, I didn't mention this letter.

## Fwd: Re: Report from WPC on fire items in town

To MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

Agenda item would be good; Insurance is a hot topic and there is no central location for collecting/collating/tracking information. **Good rat hole for Jennifer.**

**Personally, I think the Town has been reluctant to track it because of what it might show.**

-----Original Message-----

From: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
Sent: Mar 11, 2022 7:41 PM  
To: dalepfau@earthlink.net <dalepfau@earthlink.net>  
Subject: Fwd: Re: Report from WPC on fire items in town

some traction on this --- what do you think about a short agenda item as FYI . . . seems good.

----- Original Message -----

From: Jennifer Hammer <jenniferhammer@me.com>  
To: Jeremy Dennis <jdennis@portolavalley.net>  
Cc: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
Date: 03/11/2022 3:50 PM  
Subject: Re: Report from WPC on fire items in town

Hi Jeremy,

Let me know if there is any way I can help with the report format. I will also run my baseline report slides by you next week so you can add anything you think is important.

As far as the insurance, I can start collecting the information next month. I can also be helpful to residents who have lost their insurance while also making sure they understand that any helpful information I give them is not coming from an official town source.

**Michael, would it be helpful to get a discussion about the contents of the spreadsheet on the WPC agenda next month? It might be nice to make this part of a public discussion.**

**Jeremy, Can the town setup an email address for the WPC Finance and Insurance sub-committee and then forward the emails to me?** Then MJ can add the email to her tip sheet and maybe add it to the town update.

Have a great weekend,

Jennifer

**From:** [MICHAEL TOMARS](mailto:MICHAEL TOMARS)  
**To:** [swernikoff@portolavalley.net](mailto:swernikoff@portolavalley.net)  
**Subject:** Fwd: Re: Jennifer Hammer  
**Date:** Monday, January 10, 2022 9:21:06 AM

---

fyi

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>

> To: dalepfau@earthlink.net

> Date: 01/10/2022 9:20 AM

> Subject: Re: Jennifer Hammer

>

>

> I've received very good community support from ranch neighbors for this applicant -- also coming from people I know well. I've worked with all types over the last 30 years. I'm willing to take her on -- our conversations have been very productive, and I've crafted some assignments for her area of interest. As I mentioned, I expressed concerns on your behalf to Craig and Sarah to ensure full transparency.

>

>> On 01/08/2022 8:05 AM Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>

>>

>> Her appointment is on the consent calendar. Unless someone on the council pulls it, it will be approved with all the other stuff on the consent calendar. If they pull it, then it will become a public spectacle and I doubt that Craig wants that. Also, if you have concerns, that plays into their agenda to make sure the committee is non-functional.

>>

>> To stop appointments, need to tell Craig immediately if there is a concern and hopefully stop before it gets to consent calendar.

>> -----Original Message-----

>> From: MICHAEL TOMARS

>> Sent: Jan 7, 2022 9:56 PM

>> To:

>> Subject: Re: Jennifer Hammer

>>

>> I had separate calls with Craig and Sarah this morning to express concerns. It's consideration not automatic confirmation?

>>

>>

>>> On 01/07/2022 7:26 PM Dale Pfau wrote:

>>>

>>>

>>> Her appointment is on the calendar for the next town council meeting - this is a disaster. No one will work with her.

**From:** MICHAEL TOMARS  
**To:** [swernikoff@portolavalley.net](mailto:swernikoff@portolavalley.net)  
**Subject:** Fwd: Re: Fwd: Proposed Agenda for 2/1/2022  
**Date:** Tuesday, January 25, 2022 11:11:47 PM

---

----- Original Message -----

From: Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net>  
To: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
Date: 01/25/2022 8:05 PM  
Subject: Re: Fwd: Proposed Agenda for 2/1/2022

Hi Michael;

We need to put Moritz #4 right after the minutes; it is unfair for him to have to sit through the crap associated with a "charter review" and "goals".

Also, there will be a lot of public questions, so it is better to get all that out of the way first.

thanks

-----Original Message-----

From: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
Sent: Jan 25, 2022 7:03 PM  
To: dalepfau@earthlink.net <dalepfau@earthlink.net>  
Subject: Fwd: Proposed Agenda for 2/1/2022

Proposed agenda is below --- let me know if you have any comments. I will send this to Sharon in the morning. Thanks! Michael

1. Call to Order
2. Open Communications for Items not on Agenda
3. Approval of Minutes from December 7, 2021, Meeting
4. Review Charter (attached), Consider any Updates / Revisions
5. Discuss Goals / Priorities for 2022
6. Introduction to Wildfire Maps (Ray Moritz)
7. State of Wildfire Preparedness (MJ Lee)
8. Standing Items - As Needed
  - a. Fire Marshal Update
  - b. Staff Updates
  - c. Review of Committee Correspondences/Items of Note
9. Adjourn

Attached charter below -

[https://portolavalley-my.sharepoint.com/:w/g/personal/swernikoff\\_portolavalley\\_net/ES\\_LWXB7VJ5Epdg7XQdrCzUBKYJHcotfcanMlqojp\\_OloQ](https://portolavalley-my.sharepoint.com/:w/g/personal/swernikoff_portolavalley_net/ES_LWXB7VJ5Epdg7XQdrCzUBKYJHcotfcanMlqojp_OloQ)



**From:** [MICHAEL TOMARS](#)  
**To:** [swernikoff@portolavalley.net](mailto:swernikoff@portolavalley.net)  
**Subject:** Fwd: Re: Woodside Fire  
**Date:** Thursday, January 27, 2022 12:04:10 PM

---

He's texted three times and called several times - give me a break

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net>  
> To: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
> Date: 01/27/2022 11:56 AM  
> Subject: Re: Woodside Fire

>

>

> Push Grandy out!!! We need to talk

> -----Original Message-----

> From: MICHAEL TOMARS  
> Sent: Jan 27, 2022 10:25 AM  
> To:  
> Subject: Re: Woodside Fire

>

> Knew about that - yes. It was discussed this week (was unable to attend meeting).

>

> Also, I was able to get Bob Grandy to commit to a 15-minute presentation for our meeting regarding the evacuation study. This issue has been coming up LOTS with people at the Ranch - "why doesn't your committee address this?" So, this response should address those concerns --- it's the hot button issue. We are looking at a very long meeting --- do you want to defer the mapping discussion until March since you indicated that it would take at least one hour to address that topic. We can talk tonight.

>

>> On 01/26/2022 7:17 PM Dale Pfau wrote:

>>

>>

>> Hi Michael;

>>

>> Are you aware that the Fire Board agreed to spend the money to get a new updated firemap of the district and then designate Very High fire danger areas and demand state regulations in those zones. This would mandate 30 setback and 30 ft separation in many areas in PV.

>>

>> We might ask Don to discuss this at the wildfire meeting.

>>

>> When you have time, we should chat.

>>

>> best

>>

>> Dale



**From:** [MICHAEL TOMARS](#)  
**To:** [swernikoff@portolavalley.net](mailto:swernikoff@portolavalley.net)  
**Subject:** Fwd: Re: Woodside Fire  
**Date:** Thursday, January 27, 2022 12:02:04 PM

---

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Dale Pfau <dalepfau@earthlink.net>  
> To: MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
> Date: 01/27/2022 11:47 AM  
> Subject: Re: Woodside Fire

>

>

> No mapping is EXTREMELY important. Must happen this meeting.

>

> I would have preferred to not have Grandy talk; I am working that issue differently. Please let me handle everything associated with evac - lots going on that you are not aware of

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: MICHAEL TOMARS  
> Sent: Jan 27, 2022 10:25 AM  
> To:  
> Subject: Re: Woodside Fire

>

> Knew about that - yes. It was discussed this week (was unable to attend meeting).

>

> Also, I was able to get Bob Grandy to commit to a 15-minute presentation for our meeting regarding the evacuation study. This issue has been coming up LOTS with people at the Ranch - "why doesn't your committee address this?" So, this response should address those concerns --- it's the hot button issue. We are looking at a very long meeting --- do you want to defer the mapping discussion until March since you indicated that it would take at least one hour to address that topic. We can talk tonight.

>

>> On 01/26/2022 7:17 PM Dale Pfau wrote:

>>

>>

>> Hi Michael;

>>

>> Are you aware that the Fire Board agreed to spend the money to get a new updated firemap of the district and then designate Very High fire danger areas and demand state regulations in those zones. This would mandate 30 setback and 30 ft separation in many areas in PV.

>>

>> We might ask Don to discuss this at the wildfire meeting.

>>

>> When you have time, we should chat.

>>

>> best

>>

>> Dale

**From:** [MICHAEL TOMARS](#)  
**To:** [Sarah Wernikoff](#)  
**Subject:** Re: 2/1/2022 Wildfire Committee Meeting  
**Date:** Thursday, February 03, 2022 10:15:22 AM

---

Dale just sent me a text - "**I am beyond furious**" --- do you know what that might be about? He's calling me at 11.

On 02/03/2022 1:22 AM MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net> wrote:

Will not be responding to Bob!

So, I'm not getting the correct version from Dale -- of course. He told me that he was responding to your email in the morning -- interesting!

Let's do a mapping meeting.

MT

On 02/02/2022 7:21 PM Sarah Wernikoff <swernikoff@portolavalley.net> wrote:

Bob Turcott has also requested to present to the Housing Element (HE) Committee. The HE Committee told him they are focusing on experts that are trained and experienced professionals in their field. He was declined because he is a cardiologist, not a fire expert. Moritz is an expert, the speaker from Paradise is an expert, WFPD is an expert, Zeke Lunder is an expert.

In short, I will not participate on a committee that presents non-experts with political agendas as experts.

Also, just FYI, I didn't email Dale, I spoke with him for 30 min by phone at 3:00 and highlighted my concerns about mapping from the 3<sup>rd</sup> paragraph in my email to you below.

I think we need an interim WPC meeting. If Dale et al want more information about the mapping process, we could discuss it there as well. The Housing Element is too important to get derailed by politics. Please keep me posted.

Sarah Wernikoff  
Portola Valley Town Council  
swernikoff@portolavalley.net

---

**From:** MICHAEL TOMARS <mtomars89@comcast.net>  
**Sent:** Wednesday, February 2, 2022 6:22 PM  
**To:** Sarah Wernikoff <swernikoff@portolavalley.net>  
**Subject:** Re: 2/1/2022 Wildfire Committee Meeting

I also received an email from Bob Turcott asking if Rusty could be a guest speaker at a future meeting. I have not responded to his email.

Most of the feedback I've received about the Mortiz presentation has focused on the need for aggressive vegetation management. The pictures and context were telling for many of the meeting participants (but not all). My counterparts at PVR are Dudley and Mac -- both found the presentation sobering. PVR has invested a substantial amount of time and money to reverse an "aggressive" conservation tilt that has increased fire risk (a trend that is endemic across neighborhoods). Bob's email did not elevate the significance of vegetation management or home hardening -- not surprised. He resisted (even fought) the Committee's Steep Slope Initiative in 2020. What did Moritz represent about slopes last night? He pointed to the exact reason why the Committee's Steep Slope Initiative is so important! Bob's email was silent on this incredibly important point. There is a group in town that purports to be the flag bearer for fire resiliency. However, they won't even support the most essential elements/drivers outlined in the Mortiz presentation. That's ironic and/or catawampus!

Can the TC call "them" on this issue/disconnect? It's a one issue group.

Dale emailed me about your email.

We didn't calendar a date for the meeting, but I signaled the need for a second meeting to discuss goals and priorities.

Thanks for being there!

On 02/02/2022 12:45 PM Sarah Wernikoff

I'm happy to participate in that conversation, if I can be helpful.

---

**From:** Sarah Wernikoff <[swernikoff@portolavalley.net](mailto:swernikoff@portolavalley.net)>  
**Sent:** Friday, January 28, 2022 12:10 PM  
**To:** Jeremy Dennis <[jdennis@portolavalley.net](mailto:jdennis@portolavalley.net)>; MICHAEL TOMARS <[mtomars89@comcast.net](mailto:mtomars89@comcast.net)>  
**Subject:** Re: WPC Committee Members

If we can't retain or recruit members bc people are concerned the Committee has become too political (Marianne P also confirmed to me this AM that this is why she resigned), perhaps we should have a frank dialog with the Committee about whether or not the committee should continue. Just food for thought.

Sarah Wernikoff  
Portola Valley Town Council  
[swernikoff@portolavalley.net](mailto:swernikoff@portolavalley.net)

---

**From:** Jeremy Dennis <[jdennis@portolavalley.net](mailto:jdennis@portolavalley.net)>  
**Sent:** Friday, January 28, 2022 12:04 PM  
**To:** Sarah Wernikoff <[swernikoff@portolavalley.net](mailto:swernikoff@portolavalley.net)>; MICHAEL TOMARS <[mtomars89@comcast.net](mailto:mtomars89@comcast.net)>  
**Subject:** RE: WPC Committee Members

My recollection was that it was staff. I can go back and review my notes if that's helpful. From what I recall, since there was going to be a relationship between home hardening and design guidelines, there was some link. As home hardening (round one) has been passed, then may not be as necessary now (or even in the future).

PC could be very interesting. Practically speaking, I suspect we'll continue to run into the same bandwidth issues, and also the (unfortunate) politicization of fire issues.

---

**From:** Sarah Wernikoff <[swernikoff@portolavalley.net](mailto:swernikoff@portolavalley.net)>  
**Sent:** Friday, January 28, 2022 12:01 PM  
**To:** Jeremy Dennis <[jdennis@portolavalley.net](mailto:jdennis@portolavalley.net)>; MICHAEL TOMARS <[mtomars89@comcast.net](mailto:mtomars89@comcast.net)>  
**Subject:** Re: WPC Committee Members

Who originally made the recommendation to include ASCC? Given this committee deals with vegetation management and home materials it seems to make sense to me. Or if the WPC is evolving to include planning issues perhaps it should include someone from the PC?

Food for thought I guess for when Charter is discussed on Tuesday.

Sarah Wernikoff  
Portola Valley Town Council